Creating a Community of Care
« Back to the Main Inquiry Cycle
Background Quick Read
Community of Care Video
- View the supplementary video on the outcomes of creating a Community of Pastoral Care.
- The diagram of Murphy’s Community of Pastoral Care an be found in the Creating Productive Culture Handout. Discuss the intermediate and end outcomes discussed in the video and seen on the diagram.Discuss any real-life examples of a student where a community of care impacted either the intermediate and/ or end outcomes in school.
Love Ninja Blog Read
- Ask one participant to read aloud the blog post, Love Ninja.
- Connect the Love Ninja story to Dr. Murphy’s research.While this story’s point is focused on preventing violence, how would learning be accelerated in the classroom that actively ensures care, support, safety, and membership
- Using the chart on page 3 in the Creating Productive Culture Handout, engage in a group discuss about current strategies used to address the 4 norms of pastoral care.Participants should record any practices in the first column.
Actions Between Sessions
- Participants should complete the column “Possible new strategies to meet the needs of ALL students” by next session.Emphasize the NOTE on the bottom of the chart defining ALL. Consider who might be “hiding” and what norm might be missing for ALL students.
- Identify the next session date and time.
For the Next Session Participants will need a sample literacy lesson for the activity in the next session. This can be any type of literacy strategy lesson or activity they use in their classroom. There is no format required and it does not need to be formal. Participants will be asked to apply their learning to an authentic literacy experience they facilitate in their rooms. The sample lesson will be that authentic application piece.
Back to Top
Previous SessionNext Session