Social Emotional Learning Part 1
« Back to the Main Inquiry Cycle
Connecting the Sessions
- Ask the participants to share their responses from the “Possible new strategies to meet the needs of ALL students” task from session 3.[Creating Productive Culture handout]
- Today’s session will take these ideas deeper and connect to the nationally recognized social emotional learning competencies.
- Accessing the SEL webinar, view segment 17:20 – 23:40 (6 mins) together. (Participants can also access the webinar information from the SEL Webinar pdf of the slides.)
- Before each group begins the segment, review the Video Viewing Protocol.Use the protocol to debrief the segment.
- Ask participants to share the literacy lessons they have brought for today’s activity.Participants can share lessons if needed.
- Using the CASEL Competencies Wheel, ask each participant to review their lesson and find areas within the lesson where any of the 5 core competencies would be critical for success.
- Participants should take turns sharing their finds. At that time, the team should consider how these core competencies are being explicitly taught in the classroom.
Actions Between Sessions
- Participants should research the benefits behind why explicit SEL instruction in the classroom is a benefit for the next session.Possible options for this are:watch the full SEL Webinar (56 mins), visit the CASEL web site, or explore EduTopia. Be prepared to share your findings with the team.
Back to Top
Previous SessionNext Session